Adding new siding to your home is an important decision and should not be taken lightly. There are many aspects to take into consideration such as what color it should be, what the trim should look like, and most important of all what material should be used to best fit your home.
Despite the fact that there are many materials available in the market, wood siding seems to still be the material of choice for most American home owners; perhaps because it gives a home a very classic beautiful appearance.
Just like with any other major construction decision, however careful consideration should be taken prior to making the final decision. Even though aesthetically the wood may seem like the best choice, there are other not so great aspects to this material that should be weighted in; here are some pros and cons to assist with the decision making:
– Offers great curb appeal
– Damaged material can be easily replaced
– Easy to cut and shape
– Seems are not very noticeable when installed properly
– Needs regular maintenance such as painting every few years
– Its prone to insects
– Flammable (although there are some flame retardant wood available in the market)
– Materials costs anywhere between $2 – $9 per square foot (could be more pricey depending on the type of wood)
Below are some pictures of our current project. It really is turning out beautiful, and it is not done yet.
Please check out our Facebook page for some more pictures of the progress as we finish it up.